John Savage was born in Ireland in 1740 and immigrated to the United States as a young man. He married Ann Pratt, probably in Spencertown, NY, and together had seven children, all born in New York state. In 1775, having refused to command a local company of the Continental Army, he was regarded as an enemy and imprisoned. He escaped and joined the British Army. When hostilities ended in 1783, he and his family took refuge in the province of Quebec. In July 1792, he petitioned to obtain the Township of Shefford, but did not receive the letters patent until 1801. He was named Captain of the 2nd Battalion of the Eastern Townships Militia in 1805 and Justice of the Peace for the District of Montreal in 1806. Savage contributed to the surveying of the Township of Shefford, the opening of roads, and the organization of religious services in Shefford County. He continued to play a major role in the life of the community of the Township of Shefford until his death in West Shefford on 27 September 1826.
Canada Packers, Inc. (now Maple Leaf Foods, Inc.) was a Toronto-based meat packing and processing company.
The company was formed out of a succession of mergers with predecessor companies. These include the William Davies Company, Ltd. (est. 1854), the Canadian Packing Company, Ltd. (est. 1868 as the George Matthews Company), Gunns Ltd. (est. 1876), and the Harris Abattoir Company, Ltd. (est. 1896). These firms merged in 1927 to form Canada Packers, Ltd., which became Canada Packers Inc. in 1980. In 1990 Canada Packers Inc. merged with British based Maple Leaf Mills, Ltd. to form Maple Leaf Foods, Inc.
The N.E. Thing Company was founded in 1967 by Ian and Elaine Baxter (nee Hieber), and formally incorporated in 1969, with Iain Baxter as President and Elaine as Vice President; the two later became co-presidents. Following the Baxters’ divorce, the company dissolved in 1978
Knox Presbyterian Church in Burlington, Ontario was established in 1845 as Knox Presbyterian Church, Wellington Square. It wasn't until 1873 that the name of the town was changed to Burlington. Land was donated for a new church by Andrew and Martha Gage, and a small log building was constructed in the summer of 1845. The church was governed by a united Session with Knox Presbyterian Church in Waterdown, until 1877. In that year, a new church building was constructed as well. In 1925, the congregation voted to remain with The Presbyterian Church in Canada.
The Canadian Water Resources Association is a national organization of individuals and organizations interested in the management of Canada's water resources. It has branch organizations in most provinces and territories. CWRA history can be traced back to 1947 when the first meeting was held in Alberta as the Western Canada Reclamation Association. CWRA exists to stimulate public awareness and understanding of Canada's water resources, to encourage public recognition of the high priority of water as a valued resource, to provide a forum for the exchange of information and opinion relating to the management of Canada's water resources, and to participate with appropriate agencies in international water resource activities
The Department of Anaesthesia of Women's College Hospital was formally established in 1914 under Dr. Margaret McCallum-Johnston, a graduate of the Ontario Medical College for Women, predecessor to Women’s College Hospital. Dr. McCallum-Johnston (1914-1935) held the position of Chief of Anaesthesia until 1935 and was then followed by Dr. Hannah Reid (1926-1931) and Dr. Ellen Blatchford (1931-1956); Dr. Evelyn Bateman (1956-1972); Dr. Edith Rogoman (1972-1982); Dr. Bronwen Gates (1982-1988) and Dr. Jean Kronberg (1988- ). In 1969, the Department of Anaesthesia was officially affiliated with the University of Toronto. The Department remains one of Women's College Hospital's first and longest running medical departments.
The Department of Emergency Medicine of Women's College Hospital was officially established in 1981. Prior to the formation of the Department, patients received emergency care in the hospital’s Outpatient Department staffed by members of the Department of General Practice. In 1971, due to the high volume of emergency cases, Women's College Hospital established a separate Emergency Department under the leadership of Dr. Yvonne deBuda. In 1981 after review, the Emergency Department External Review Committee recommended that the existing Emergency Department fall under the direction of a distinct organizational entity staffed by full-time physicians and a Chief who would be a full-time member of the hospital's Medical Advisory Committee. In July 1981, the Department of Emergency Medicine was established under Dr. John W. Letts, Chief of Emergency Medicine (1981-1993). On April 30, 1987 the Urgent Care Centre officially opened, replacing the Emergency Department. In 1993 the Department of Emergency Medicine was dissolved.
The Department of Family and Community Medicine was established at Women’s College Hospital in 1956. The Department operates the Family Practice Health Centre, an ambulatory care unit. In 1964, Dr. Jean Davey, Chief of Medicine, introduced a family practice teaching unit within the Department of Family and Community Medicine to train family physicians. In 1956, Dr. Bette Stephenson (1956-1965) was appointed the Department's first Family-Physician-in-Chief. She was followed by Dr. Shanna Gimbert (1965-1969); Dr. Marjorie Swanson (1969-1972); Dr. Yvonne deBuda; Dr. Hollister King (1982-1992) and Dr. James Ruderman (1992- ). Today, the Department continues to operate the Family Practice Health Centre at Women's College Hospital which provides care for women and men of all age groups. It is one of the largest clinics in Ontario, providing more than 54,000 visits per year to patients.
In 1910 the Canada Synod and Synod of Central Canada of the Lutheran Church entered into an agreement to establish a Lutheran Seminary. Though the location first proposed for the Seminary was Toronto, Waterloo was selected when its citizens offered a tract of land on the boundary of the town. The choice of location was further influenced by the fact that the majority of Lutherans in Ontario lived in the vicinity of Waterloo and Berlin (Kitchener). In 1911 the Evangelical Lutheran Seminary of Canada opened its doors.
Facilities for pre-theological education were established in 1914 with courses leading to senior matriculation given in Waterloo College School.
In 1924 the Waterloo College of Arts, providing courses in post-secondary education in a four year program, was established. In 1925 the Faculty of Arts, under the name of Waterloo College, affiliated with the University of Western Ontario. Waterloo College soon began to offer honours degree programs in the arts.
The affiliation with the University of Western Ontario ended in 1960 when the Seminary obtained a revised charter changing the name of the institution to Waterloo Lutheran University.
On November 1, 1973, Waterloo Lutheran University became Wilfrid Laurier University, one of Ontario's provincially assisted universities after Bill 178 was given Royal Assent by the Lieutenant Governor (and former Waterloo Lutheran University Chancellor) William Ross Macdonald.
In September 1999, Laurier opened a campus in Brantford, Ontario.