Showing 188 results

Persoon/organisatie
R4 · Instelling · 1967 -

Established in 1975, the Faculty of Music delivers music education and related activities at Wilfrid Laurier University. As of 2013, undergraduate degree options include an Honours Bachelor of Music (BMus) degree and an Honours Bachelor of Music Therapy (BMT) degree. The faculty also offers Master of Music Therapy and Master of Arts in Community Music degrees. In addition to the degree programs, there are several supplementary and post-graduate options including three diploma programs, a practicum program and a management option. The Faculty of Music invites guest artists from around the world to contribute to the course offerings and hosts a number of affiliated artists, beginning in 1967 with Peter van Ginkel. Every year the faculty produces a number of concerts and recitals of traditional, new and original music. The concerts showcase the talents of WLU students and special guests in a variety of styles and forms including jazz, opera and orchestra.
The institution’s involvement with music dates back to first half of the 20th century when it was known as Waterloo College. Initially, musical activities at the college were the domain of student groups such as the college choir and the glee club. In the years following World War II the interest in music had grown at the college. There was an annual student musical known as the Purple and Gold review and the college choir led by Dr. Ulrich Leupold regularly toured the parishes of Southern Ontario. In 1945 Dr. Leupold established the Department of Music with the class Music10. By 1956 the college offered two courses in music history and theory, as well as one course on church music. In 1965 a music program was formally created by Dr. Walter Kemp. This new program allowed students to earn a Bachelor of Arts with a major in music. In 1969, a new three-year Bachelor of Music degree was introduced and was to commence in 1970.

The Music Department remained affiliated with the Faculty of Arts for the next five years. Traditionally, the department held classes in the chapel and in a music room in the Arts Building. However, these facilities did not suit department’s needs and in 1971 classes were moved into two houses on Bricker Street. Due to noise complaints from neighbouring residents, the music department was soon asked to vacate the houses. The department was then moved into the garage of the President’s House (Alumni Hall). On May 1st, 1975 the Department of Music became the Faculty of Music. Dr. Christine Mather was named the first Dean and was inducted on November 3, 1975. That same year, the Faculty of Music was moved to Macdonald House. In 1979, Dr. Gordon Greene became Dean and held the position for two consecutive terms. In 1988 the Faculty was moved to the newly constructed John Aird Centre, which contains the Maureen Forrester Recital Hall, the Theatre Auditorium, classrooms, practice rooms and offices. This purpose-built centre remains as the current home of the Faculty of Music. In 1989, Anne Hall was appointed Dean. Other Deans of the Faculty of Music include Dr. Charles Morrison (Appointed in 2000) and Dr. Glen Carruthers (Appointed in 2010).

U257 · Instelling · 1966-

The Waterloo Lutheran University Graduate School of Social Work was founded in 1966 with a curriculum based on clinical practice as well as community organization practice. Students specialized in one of five concentrations: community development, social planning, social administration, research, or individuals, families and social groups. The first class graduated in 1968, the same year that the Graduate School of Social Work was accredited by the Council on Social Work Education. In 1974, the name of the program was changed to the Faculty of Social Work to reflect the expansion into part-time, continuing education and undergraduate social welfare courses (offered in the Faculty of Arts and Science). In 1981, the Faculty of Social Work created an undergraduate Social Welfare Option, considered to be a minor.

The Doctor of Social Work program was established in 1987, making it the first doctoral program at Wilfrid Laurier University.

By 1988 the Faculty had moved from the seminary to the Peters building and then to the Aird building before moving to the St. Jerome’s Duke Street building in 2006. This Laurier Kitchener campus was a 12 million dollar conversion from historic landmark to professional school.

The first Dean of the Faculty of Social Work was Sheldon L. Rahn (1966-1968), followed by Francis J. Turner (1969-1979), Sherman Merle (1980-1983), Shankar A. Yelaja (1983-1993), Jonnah Hurn Mather (1994-2001), Luke J. Fusco (2001-2006), Leslie Cooper (2006-2009), and Nicholas Coady (2011-).

AC00323 · Instelling · 1911-1960

The Evangelical Lutheran Seminary of Canada began in 1911. In 1924 Waterloo College was established, providing courses in post-secondary education. In 1960 Waterloo Lutheran University was formed, consisting of Waterloo University College and Waterloo Lutheran Seminary. In 1973 the name of the University was changed to Wilfrid Laurier University, with Waterloo Lutheran Seminary as a federated college.

1st Coniston Wolf Cub Pack
027 · Instelling · 1948 - After 1962

Robert Baden-Powell's book, Scouting for Boys, was first published in England in 1908. Shortly after, Scouts began forming all over Canada. In 1910, a Dominion Council was established and Governor General Earl Grey accepted the position of Chief Scout for Canada. The Boy Scouts Association was incorporated in the United Kingdom two years later. In June 1914, a Canadian branch of that organization - The Canadian General Council of the Boy Scouts Association - was incorporated. In 1920, the International Conference, to which all recognized Boy Scout associations belonged, was formed.

The first meeting of the 1st Coniston Wolf Cub Pack, which was part of the Coniston Boy Scout Association was in October 1948. This 1st troop was affiliated with the All Saints Anglican Church and, in late 1948, a 2nd troop was formed which was affiliated with the Catholic Church (the French speaking boys attended Our Lady of Mercy Church while the English speaking boys attended St. Paul's Church). Both troops existed at the same time in Coniston and frequently participated in events and fundraising together. The 1st Coniston Wolf Cub Pack held their troop meetings on Tuesday nights, but they would have events, such as tobogganing parties and parades, on other days of the week. Regular activities of the troop included camping, hiking, first aid training, hockey, watching National Film Board movies, and father & son banquets. The troop was funded through various fundraising activities, such as candy sales on Valentine's Day.

In September 1956, the 1st Coniston Troop approached the 2nd Troop with the proposition of forming one group for Coniston. Bishop Dignan gave permission for boys from the 1st Troop to join, provided the 2nd Troop had control of the troop. During 1956 and 1957, the 2nd troop had difficulties recruiting Cub Masters who had the time to volunteer and the group folded by 1958 with the remainder of their bank balance being donated to the 1st Coniston Group Committee on November 12, 1962.

Presidents (Chairmen) listed in the scrapbook were:
Roy Snitch (1948 - 1949)
J. Rogerson (1952 - 1953)

030 · Instelling · January 1944 - June 1980

St. John the Evangelist Roman Catholic Church was built in Garson, Ontario in 1913-1914. Prior to this time, mass was celebrated in Garson by a visiting priest from Ste. Anne's Parish in Sudbury with the first mass in Garson celebrated in 1906 by Reverend G.S. Lebel. In 1935 the mission of St. John's, which included the towns of Garson and Falconbridge, became a parish and Reverend John P. Coghlan was named the first Parish Priest, serving until 1964. In March of 1950 the original St. John's church succumbed to fire and another church was immediately built in its place, with the first mass being held there on December 17, 1950.

The Catholic Youth Organization (C.Y.O.), affiliated with St. John's, was established in January 1944 due to the efforts of Father A.J. Sullivan. The C.Y.O.'s first meeting had twenty people in attendance and by 1946 had grown to include approximately fifty members, who were divided into 'junior' and 'senior' groups. It was a popular unit within the church and many events and programs were held for the benefit of the members. Events included dances, debates, quiz nights, holiday parties, roller skating parties and tobogganing outings. The C.Y.O. also took great interest in athletics and took part in a bowling league and a baseball league, as well as organized hikes, skiing trips and dart tournaments for members. By April 1946 the C.Y.O. was running its own news bulletin, which was used to relay gossip, local news and events within St. John's Parish and to advertise upcoming parties and events being held by the C.Y.O. The C.Y.O. remained in existence until June 1980.

The editorial staff for the years 1946-1947 were:
Editor: Lil Scagnetti
Assistant Editor: Mike Dudowich
Typist: Diane Scagnetti [Di Scagnetti/Diane Dellelce]
Printer: Abele Crisante
Sports Editor: George Morin
Poetry Department: Marg Lachapelle
Senior Reporter: Theresa Moreau, Claire Daoust
Junior Reporter: Rose Devuono, Bea Laliberte
Deliveries: Stan Hyduk
Social Editor [April 1946]: T. Egan

YDMA · Instelling · 1973-

The YDMA has administrative relationships with the International Sled Dog Racing Association, the Yukon Sourdough Rendezvous Committee and Alaskan dog mushing associations. The YDMA has an executive and board of directors. Past presidents have been: Paul Sheridan, 1973-1975; Elmer Bankhead, 1978; Ken Weagle, 1982.; Secretaries have been: J.B. Fitzgerald, 1964; Marion Elden, 1968-1973; Jan Couture, 1975; Pam Buckway, 1982. Function: The object of the YDMA is to promote dog sled racing in the Yukon Territory and to promote and improve the class and type of dogs and equipment. The Association organizes and operates dog sled races and one dog pulls, and especially the dog sled races and mushers parade at the Sourdough Rendezvous. They also acquire land for and maintain permanent trails and facilities.

Howard, A. H., fl. 1889-1904
AGOAC02356 · Persoon · 1889 - 1904

A.H. Howard (fl. 1889-1904) was an artist and member of the Toronto Art League.

MacTavish, Newton, 1877-1941
AGOAC00248 · Persoon · 1875-1941

Newton McFaul MacTavish (1875-1941) was a Canadian journalist, art critic and early art historian. Born in Staffa, Ontario, he became a reporter at The Toronto Globe in 1896 and was its assistant financial editor until 1900. From then until 1906, he studied English literature at McGill University while working as a correspondent and business representative of The Globe in Montreal. In 1903 he married Kate Johnson. Between 1906 and 1926, MacTavish was the editor of The Canadian Magazine in Toronto. In 1910 he travelled to Europe and visited the Canadian artists J.W. Morrice and John Wentworth Russell in Paris. He subsequently (1922-1933) served as a trustee of the National Gallery of Canada in Ottawa. Acadia University, Wolfville, Nova Scotia conferred honorary degrees on Newton MacTavish in 1924 (M.A.) and 1928 (D. Litt.). From 1926 to 1932 he was a member of the Civil Service Commission of Canada. A founder of the Arts and Letters Club (Toronto), he was also on the editorial advisory board of and contributor to the Encyclopedia of Canada (1932-1935). In addition to his articles, essays and short stories, MacTavish was the author of Thrown In (1923), The Fine Arts in Canada (1925, the first full-length history of Canadian art), and Ars Longa (1938). A fourth work, Newton MacTavish’s Canada, was published posthumously in 1963. He died in Toronto in 1941.

Lang, Avis, 1944-
AGOAC00373 · Persoon · 1944 -

Avis Lang [Rosenberg] (1944-) is an art historian, teacher, curator, writer and editor who lived in Vancouver for many years. In 1972, as a member of the faculty of the Fine Art Department at the University of British Columbia, she wrote to Canadian artist Jack Chambers (1931-1978) beginning a correspondence that led Chambers to invite her contribution to a scholarly monograph on his work. In 1973, Peter Mellen took over the editorial direction for the book and differences of opinion prompted her to resign the project. Her essay, “The Hart of London: a film by Jack Chambers” was included in The Films of Jack Chambers, edited by Kathryn Elder (Cinematheque Ontario and Indiana State University Press, 2002).

Sandham, Henry, 1842-1910
AGOAC00784 · Persoon · 1842-1910

Henry Sandham (1842-1910) was an illustrator and painter who lived successively in Montreal, Boston, and London, England. He was associated with the Montreal studio of William Notman, where he received his early training, later headed the art department, and was briefly a partner. Sandham produced illustrations for several leading magazines of his day, including the Century Magazine.