Mostrando 188 resultados

Authority record
Beaver Valley Heritage Society
S098 · Entidade coletiva · 197? -

The Beaver Valley Heritage Society began in the mid 1970s as a group of concerned citizens, and was incorporated in 1981 as a non-profit citizen's organization created to preserve and protect the natural environment of the Beaver Valley in Ontario. The Beaver Valley's territory runs through the four townships of Artemesia, Collingwood, Euphrasia and St. Vincent. It stretches over 25 miles, from Flesherton to Georgian Bay at Thornbury. The Beaver Valley Heritage Society endeavors to represent the interests of the Valley's residents and anyone who wishes to support the Society's objectives of opposing inappropriate development in the Valley. The Society supports development, provided it occurs in approved areas, and does not impact on wildlife, fishing, and the natural environment. The role of the Society is to present the views of its members in a coherent, concise and organized way to the decision-making bodies that have jurisdiction over the Beaver Valley.

Seminette Club
S047 · Entidade coletiva · 1954-1970

The Seminette Club (1954-1970) was for the wives, and intended wives, of students at the Evangelical Lutheran Seminary of Canada, and Waterloo College (now Wilfrid Laurier University) in Waterloo, Ontario. The purpose of the club was fellowship, study, and discussion in preparation for the role of a pastor's wife.

Ontario Toxic Waste Research Coalition.
AC00328 · Entidade coletiva

OTWRC is a group of citizens' and agricultural groups who succeeded in cancelling the Ontario Waste Management Corporation's plans to build a hazardous waste plant in West Lincoln in the Niagara Peninsula. The group now comments on hazardous waste issues in Ontario and pushes for waste elimination.

Great Lakes Fishery Commission.
092 · Entidade coletiva · 1955 -

The Great Lakes Fishery Commission was established in 1955 by the Canadian/U.S. Convention on Great Lakes Fisheries. The commission coordinates fisheries research, controls the sea lamprey, and facilitates cooperative fishery management among the state, provincial, tribal, and federal management agencies.

Chemtura Canada Co./Cie.
035 · Entidade coletiva · 2006 - 2017

Chemtura Corporation was a global corporation headquartered in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, with its other principal executive office in Middlebury, Connecticut. The company focused on specialty chemicals for various industrial sectors, and these were transportation (including automotive), energy, agriculture, and electronics. Chemtura operated manufacturing plants in 11 countries, including Canada.

Chemtura Corporation was the successor to Crompton & Knowles Corporation, which was incorporated in Massachusetts in 1900 and engaged in the manufacture and sale of specialty chemicals beginning in 1954. Crompton & Knowles traces its roots to Crompton Loom Works incorporated in the 1840s. In 2005, Crompton acquired Great Lakes Chemical Company, Inc., of West Lafayette, Indiana, to form Chemtura Corporation. Additionally, Great Lakes Chemical Corporation still existed as a subsidiary company of Chemtura. On April 21, 2017, Chemtura was officially acquired by Lanxess for $2.1 billion in cash.

In Canada, Chemtura and its predecessor corporations operated a plant in Elmira, Ontario. Since 1941 the plant has undergone various name and ownership changes. From 1966-2000 the plant operated as Uniroyal Chemical, from 2000-2006 as Crompton Company, and on July 1, 2006 formally changed its name to Chemtura Canada Company.

WCH010 · Entidade coletiva · 1920 -

The Department of Radiology of Women's College Hospital was established in 1920 under the hospital's first radiologist Dr. Elizabeth L. Stewart (1920-1954). Following Dr. Stewart, Dr. Elizabeth Forbes (1955-1975) was appointed the next Radiologist-in-Chief in 1955 and was followed by Dr. Terrance P. Connor (1975-1988), Dr. Eve Fishnell (1988-1996) and Dr. Katherine Fong (1997-1999). In 1990 the Department of Radiology was expanded to include a newly formed Division of Nuclear Medicine. In 1995 the department was renamed the Department of Medical Imaging and was reorganized to include a Division of Radiology & Ultrasound. In 2006, Dr. Alan Moody was appointed Radiologist-in-Chief of the Department of Medical Imaging.

WCH009 · Entidade coletiva · 1920 -

In 1920 Women’s College Hospital established the Department of Laboratories and Dr. Vivian Marvin Laughlen (1920-1945) was appointed Chief of Laboratories. In 1945 Dr. Laughlen was followed by Dr. Eva Mader MacDonald (1945-1952); Dr. Alice Gray (1952-1980) and Dr. Ali H. Qizilbash (1980-1981). In 1981 the Department of Laboratories was divided into 2 new departments: the Department of Clinical Laboratories and the Department of Pathology. Dr. Kathleen Givan (1981-1992) was appointed Chief of Clinical Laboratories and was followed by Dr. Mary Vearncombe (1993-1999). In 1999 the name of the department was changed to the Department of Microbiology and Dr. Andrew Simor (1999- ) was named Chief of Microbiology.

Chelmsford Valley District High School
AC00215 · Entidade coletiva · 1953 -

Chelmsford Valley District High School is a high school located in the community of Chelmsford, Ontario, part of Greater Sudbury. The school opened in 1953. Its name was later changed to the Chelmsford Valley District Composite School.

011 · Entidade coletiva · 1948-1958

Robert Baden-Powell's book, Scouting for Boys, was first published in England in 1908. Shortly after, Scouts began forming all over Canada. In 1910, a Dominion Council was established and Governor General Earl Grey accepted the position of Chief Scout for Canada. The Boy Scouts Association was incorporated in the United Kingdom two years later. In June 1914, a Canadian branch of that organization - The Canadian General Council of the Boy Scouts Association - was incorporated. In 1920, the International Conference, to which all recognized Boy Scout associations belonged, was formed.

The first recorded date for the Our Lady of Mercy Boy Scout Association in Coniston, Ontario was 1948. The first entry in their Minute Book begins with the last meeting of the year in 1948 so there most likely was another Minute Book created before this, possibly for years prior to this date, and lost. Prior to their formation, there was already a Coniston Boy Scout Association. The first troop was affiliated with the Anglican Church and this, the second troop, was formed to be affiliated with the Catholic Church (the french speaking boys attended Our Lady of Mercy Church while the english speaking boys attended St. Paul's Church). Both troops existed at the same time in Coniston during the entire life of the Our Lady of Mercy Boy Scout Association and frequently participated in events and fundraising together. The Our Lady of Mercy Boy Scout Association Board held their meetings in the basement of the Separate School in Coniston every month. Troop meetings tended to take place on Tuesday nights at 7pm but they would have events on other days. Activities of the troop included camping, hiking, first aid training, hockey, watching National Film Board movies, and father son banquets. They were funded with Apple Day sales, Christmas Card sales, and various other fundraising activities.

During the summer of 1953, the Our Lady of Mercy Boy Scout Association won the 'All Over' trophy at summer camp, signifying that they were the best cub pack from the Sudbury District attending the camp. In 1955, three Scouters resigned; one to attend school out of town and the other two, who were the Cub Masters Mr. & Mrs. Gobbo [Art Gobbo & Evelyn Gobbo]. In September 1956, the 1st Coniston Troop approached the 2nd Troop with the proposition of forming one group for Coniston. Bishop Dignan gave permission for boys from the 1st Troop to join, provided the 2nd Troop had control of the troop. During 1956 and 1957, the troop had difficulties recruiting Cub Masters who had the time to volunteer and the group folded by 1958 with the remainder of their bank balance being donated to the 1st Coniston Group Committee on November 12, 1962.

Presidents (Chairmen)
Edward J. Orendorff 1948 - 1952, May 1953 -after 1957 (also principal of Coniston Continuation School)
O. Paradis 1952 - 1953
G. Maher January - May 1953

Chaplains for Troop
Father Fortin 1948 - 1951
Father Lafontaine 1953
Father Proulx 1956 - 195?

Pioneer Construction
S044 · Entidade coletiva · 1938 -

Pioneer Construction was founded in Sudbury by Joe Salvalagio, Pietro Coltinari, and Mario Negusanti in 1938. The team hired Alex Macgregor as manager shortly after.

By the 1950s Pioneer Construction was tackling city and highway road construction, sewer and watermain projects, while expanding into the mining, forestry and railroad industries. In 1954, Pioneer Construction was home to the first asphalt plant in the North. Company ownership transferred to Grant Henderson, Peter Crossgrove and then to Jamie Wallace in 1976. Today Pioneer Construction builds and maintains highways and municipal roads across Northern Ontario.